How To Set Up A VPN On Firestick, Android TV Box, Or Other Streaming DeviceBy Jeremy Evans / January 20, 2017 / Tags: How-To, Kodi
Here’s how to set up a VPN on your router, so you can protect all the devices on your network, including your Firestick, Android TV box, or other streaming device.
Using a VPN is the best way to stay safe and private online. VPNs are also very easy to use. To set up a VPN on a device like your computer or phone, all you need to do is download an app and be on your way.
But what about other devices? A convenient trick is to set up a VPN on your router. There are two main reasons you might want to do this. One, so you can protect all of the devices on your network at once — phones, computers, smart TVs, etc. — without needing to install the VPN on each device individually. Two, you might want to use a VPN with a device that you can’t install it on directly — like a streaming device.
If you use a device like Amazon Firestick or Fire TV, Apple TV, Mi Box, Roku, Chromecast, etc. and want to stay safe and private while you stream TV, then setting up your VPN on your router is the way to do it. These devices don’t support local VPN software.
So if you’re been searching for how to set up VPN on Firestick or another device without finding a good answer, that’s why. You need to set it up on your router instead. The same goes for how to install VPN on Android TV box. With a Kodi VPN router installation will let you safely enjoy Kodi TV on your streaming device
Here’s how to set up a VPN on your router, so you’ll be protected on every device you use.
The Absolute Easiest Way To Set Up A VPN On A Router. Do This If You Want A Fast, No Fuss Solution
There’s an easy way, and a moderately hard way, to set up a VPN on a router. Here’s the easy way:
1) Sign up for a VPN service (if you haven’t already).
2) Buy a router that comes with VPN support already set up — just enter your VPN account info and you’re done!
The best place to get a VPN-loaded router is from the pros at Flash Routers. They have a great selection of routers that support several different popular VPN providers. NordVPN, our top choice for the best VPN and a PC Magazine Editor’s choice 2017-2015, comes on several different Flash Router models. Here are our top 3 VPN picks for Kodi, all of which have Flash Router models.
After you find the router you want and start the checkout process, you’ll be asked for your VPN provider account information. Flash Routers will then configure your router and ship it out to you. It’s a really great service for those who want a no-fuss, all-around VPN solution.
How To Manually Install A VPN On Your Router. Do This If You Like DIY
If you’re someone who likes to do-it-yourself, you can install a VPN on your router manually. This can get a bit tricky for the not-so-tech-savvy. So if you’re uncomfortable, stick with the option above. If you think you can handle it (and it’s not really so bad) then read on.
All routers are a little different. So the set-up process will vary depending on your router model, and your VPN provider. I’ll walk you through how to do it with NordVPN and a Linksys Cisco router. For other router models, see your VPN provider’s tutorials section. NordVPN supports a big selection of different routers — see all the supported models here. The NordVPN tutorials section will walk you through exactly how to set it up on your model.
Here’s how to set up NordVPN on a Linksys router using the L2TP protocol:
1) You’ll be changing your router configuration by accessing its web configuration panel. You can open the web configuration panel by visiting your router’s local IP address from your web browser. The two most common, default local IPs that most routers have are 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1. You can access these by opening http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.0.1 in your browser. The default IP, username and password are listed in your router’s User Manual.
2. Go to Setup -> Basic Setup
3. Set connection type as L2TP
4. Enter the IP address of the server you want to connect to. Our server list can be found at https://nordvpn.com/servers/ . You can use http://whatismyipaddress.com/hostname-ip tool to convert server name to IP address
5. Enter your NordVPN credentials
6. Set Keep alive to 30
7. Set DNS servers you want to use. Our DNS servers are these: 126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52
8. Save your settings to connect to VPN
And that’s it. Your connection should now be routed through NordVPN’s encrypted servers. To confirm that it’s working, visit www.whatismyipaddress.com. You should see an IP that is not your usual address.
With your VPN now set up on your router, whether you opted for the easiest or the manual method, you can now use it with all your devices — even the ones that don’t support VPN. You now know how to use a VPN on Android Box, and how to use VPN on Firestick. So have fun streaming, safely and privately.
Latest posts by Jeremy Evans (see all)
- A Simple Plan To Get Rid Of Cable - September 20, 2017
- NFL Today: Lions-Giants Live Stream Free, Without Cable - September 18, 2017
- NFL: Packers-Falcons Live Stream Free, Without Cable - September 17, 2017